Sept-May Indoor Masters Session
Our sessions typically fill up, however we anticipate a couple of spots for faster, experienced swimmers at the beginning of the season. Take a look for any openings below and if you would like to register for these sessions, please click here to email the request. Indicate swim experience and your 100m free time. You will contact you regarding the suitability of our program for you. Thank you for enquiring!
*ABSOLUTELY Required: All members must also commit to participating (swim or volunteer) in at least one Masters event during the season (e.g., Sat Nov 17, 2018 Masters meet, February Winterlude Sportsplex meet, May Perth meet. Failure to do so will result in secondary registration status for the next session.
JCC Indoor Pool
"Just shy of 25m, salt water, up to four lanes with three available for Masters weekdays and all four Sunday am."
Session dates: September 2018 through to end of May, 2019. Members will be informed of the practice changes due to JCC and statuatory holidays.
Pre-requisites: must be able to swim at least 1500 metres in about one hour in one of the lane pace times as indicated below . Although most of the practice requires front crawl, in addition you must be able to swim backstroke and breaststroke.
- Dec 24 - Jan 1 (Starting again on Tuesday, January 2, 2019)
- Mon Feb Family Day
- March Break
Here's why YOU should join:
In addiiton to weekday practices, all registered members can attend either the Sun 6:45-8:00 am at JCC (*meet at JCC side door at 6:40 am as we have exclusive use of the pool) OR 9:45-11:15 am at Carleton U.
Indoor saltwater pool at the JCC facility (Carleton U is chlorinated).
Join the region's swim specialists, it's what we've been doing for three generations
Cost: Full Sept-May season, $690 + HST 13% OR e-transfer to email@example.com OR pay in two post-dated cheques of $395 HST included to be charged Sep 15, and Dec 15. *Fee does not include Swim Ontario registration as our club will be affiliated with Masters Swim Ontario (ie., at this time you will not be able to enter as a Swim Ottawa member in sanctioned meets such as Winterlude, Provincials, Nationals, World Masters championships). Please read the Swim Ontario mandate for all clubs wishing to be sanctioned under Swim Ontario as a Masters club.
- All sessions take place in the 3-lane, 25-metre SJCC indoor saltwater pool (water temperature is warm at 84 degrees) EXCEPT for Sun 9:45-11:15 am @ Carleton University (chlorinated, 6 wider lanes)
- No JCC membership required, access only to scheduled Masters practices
- Workouts will be approximately 60% front crawl and 40% choice including mastering competitive starts and turns.
- Please specify 100m front crawl time so we can make sure you can be accommodated by our group (must be able to do 1500m in one hour and be able to do backstroke and breastroke in addition to front crawl
- Open to adults 18 years and older
Space is limited so register early!
*For Sunday am sessions, please meet at back door or pool for 6:40 as we will have early access and exclusive use of the pool
Morning Sessions @ JCC
- Mon and Wed at 5:30-6:30 am (meet at side door) OR 6:30-7:30 am (building opens at 6:00 am) + Sun morning 6:45-8:00 am at JCC OR Sunday 9:45-11:15 am at Carleton U (see details below)
Three lanes organized Mon/Wed: (5x100m FR repeat times 1:40 fast group, 1:50 intermediate, 2:10 novice group). Sun all skill levels accommodated.
- Tues and Thur at 6:05-7:15 am + Sun morning 6:45-8:00 am at JCC OR Sunday 9:45-11:15 am at Carleton U (see details below) (see details below). Limited space due to returning members.
Three lanes organized Tue/Thu: (5x100m FR repeat times 1:50 faster lane, 2:00 intermediate). Sun all skill levels accommodated.
Noon Sessions @ JCC
- Tue and Thu 12:00-1:00 pm + Sun morning 6:45-8:00 am at JCC OR Sunday 9:45-11:15 am at Carleton U (see details below). Three lanes organized: (5x100m FR repeat times 1:50 fast lane, 2:10 intermediate, 2:20 novice). Sun all skill levels accommodated.
Evening Sessions @ JCC
- Mon and Wed at 8:30-9:30 pm (bonus: Tue/Thu pm makeup practice allowed)+ Sun morning 6:45-8:00 am at JCC OR Sunday 9:45-11:15 am at Carleton U (see details below).
Three lanes organized Mon/Wed: (5x100m FR repeat times 1:45 fast lane, 2:00 intermediate, 2:10 novice). Sun all skill levels accommodated.
- Tues and Thur at 8:30-9:30 pm (bonus: Mon/Wed pm makeup practice allowed) + Sun morning 6:45-8:00 am at JCC OR Sunday 9:45-11:15 am at Carleton U (see details below).
Three lanes organized Tue/Thu: (5x100m FR repeat times 1:50 fast lane, 2:00 intermediate, 2:15 novice). Sun all skill levels accommodated.
NEW! Tue/Thu Noon and/Or PM *Ideal for shift-workers @ JCC
Choice of Tue/Thu 12:00-1:00 pm AND/OR Tue/Thu 8:30-9:30 pm + Sun morning 6:45-8:00 am at JCC OR Sunday 9:45-11:15 am at Carleton U (see details below). You get to choose whether to practice noon or night during the week and you can mix depending upon your schedule from one week to the next (eg, two noons, one noon and one night and so on). Note: This flex option is only available Tuesdays and Thursdays as stated.
Optional Additional Practice Session
- All registered members above may attend Sunday 9:45-11:15 am at Carleton University (chlorinated), six lanes, all abilities including competitive Masters needing wider lanes and a larger environment. $3 parking on weekends, turn left into Field House parking lot P5 (immediately after tennis courts).
*Optional time trial and stroke clinics to be offered exclusively to our members. Date and times to be confirmed.
Send Email Request to Join (indicate day/time preference,
100m FR time, and willingness to do all strokes)
Email us to ask a question about this program -- email us
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q. What is the pre-requisite to become a Master member with your club?
A. OSM caters to a wide range of swim skill, age, and motivation. The OSM guideline is that members must be 18 years or older and able to swim 1500 metres in about one hour. Additionally, you must be able to swim front crawl, backstroke, and breaststroke. We'll teach you how not to do butter-struggle :)
*You must also commit to participating in at least one Ottawa Swim Masters event during the season (e.g., Sat Nov 18 Masters meet, mid February long course meet at Nepean Sportsplex, or volunteering).
Q. Do you have to be Jewish to become a member?
A. Absolutely not. Our members come from all faiths. They also come with different swimming skills too :)
Q. How do I enter the facility? Do I need a pass?
A. Non-members will have show their drivers license to the camera outside the front door. There is an option to pay $10 to receive a card that you can use to swipe upon entry. TBA.
Q. I am a triathlete/ex-waterpolo player. Do you do stroke drills?
A. Absolutely. We have a theme in each practice and provide stroke drills before the aerobic sets. Keep in mind that the focus is mainly technique in an aerobic set. If you need a lot of stroke improvement, we may need to provide customized sessions outside of the Masters practice that are specific to your needs.
Q. Who are the coaches and what are their credentials?
A. This season we will have some experienced coaches as well as some younger coaches who are keen to start their coaching careers. All coaches are ex-competitive swimmers who have been involved with Swim Ottawa. The club is coordinated by Marie Anzai, who is a NCCP Level 3 certified coach, competitive swimmer and five-stroke open water swimmer :-). Katy, Marie, Adele, Fraser, Kenton, Andrea, Sarah and Carla round out the rest of the coaching staff.
Email us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to go back to the swimottawa.com home page